Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

The Curse of Information


Information isn't really a curse... I just couldn't think of a more clever title. 

It’s no great secret that I’m a reader. Most of the time is springs from having the tendency to over-think things. In the last 37 weeks I’ve read books on pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting. If there is ever anything I’m unsure of I know that I can find a good book to “learn up” on the topic on Amazon. Also, in the last 37 weeks I’ve learned that the Amazon app has made it way to easy to purchase books. I guess it’s just not apart of my personality to jump into something blindly. Luckily, Chase has a little of that same trait. There are some things that the phrase “ignorance is bliss” hold true and I wish I could have that outlook on those things. Chase often lists his favorite quote as “willful ignorance is surrendering all control.” So I guess it’s one of those things that only the eye of the beholder can decide. The way I see it is… I’ve never been pregnant before and I want as few surprises as possible. Same goes with giving birth… I’ve never done it before so I might as well know the “normal” process and the not so normal things that can happen. As far as parenting goes well… that’s a whole different ballgame. I’ve never been a parent and I’ve only witnessed how I was raised and I’ve been blessed to have know some pretty amazing parents. The books are a like a buffet where you take only what you want and leave the rest but overall the things I’ve read so far have been a good foundation to start with. Oh, I’ve got another good analogy… this whole process is kind of like teaching, you never know what you’re doing or your style until you jump in and do it. We’re just a few weeks away from taking that leap from which there is no turning back. The good thing is that we’ve been told that no one is ever truly ready to be a parent so we know that we’re on a level playing field ;-)
The point of this post… I’ve gained more knowledge on pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting than I ever thought I would. I didn’t know it would take hold and run away with me. But it is a good thing to know how you feel about the things that you can. To the people who aren’t readers or over thinkers… I admire you. There is a certain security in not knowing what is next; you don’t have anything to be scared of or nervous about when you truly don’t over think everything. Maybe someday I’ll learn how to be like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment