As a parent, I am constantly second guessing myself while hoping and praying that the proper decisions have been made concerning my child. That's apart of the job... Right? The moments come few and far between when I am reassured that I am doing something right. Those fleeting moments make all the difference in the world. You see, I have discovered in the last year that we as parents can become our own worst enemy. All the second guessing and comparing we do can hold us back from our potential and more importantly our children from reaching theirs. This seems to be true in more aspect of life besides parenting but this is specifically aimed at parenting for now. I know for a fact that I have watched my sweet boy while he's napping an wondered if I am doing right by him, praying that I am, and asking the good Lord for His guidance through our parenting journey. I know that I have looked at other moms and questioned whether I should be doing what they are doing to be a better parent.
Chase and I have have taken the road less traveled in many aspects of our parenting. For us it starting with choosing to have a natural birth in a hospital setting. We chose to exclusively breast feed Cohen and cloth diaper, both of which neither of us knew anyone who had done either. Then on to nursing to at least a year and elimination communication with Cohen. I'm more than sure those who knew we were practicing EC and still nursing at twelve months thought we were crazy. To them I say that in almost seventeen months Cohen has had one fever due to Roseola and that is it. Kiddo weaned at thirteen months and is a really great eater, I thank Baby Led Weaning for most of that. As far as EC goes, I don't change poopy diapers ever and we are well on our way to graduating to underwear full time.
Next time around things will be different I am sure. My mom always said that my older sister was her experiment. I know now that she said that because with your first child you just kind of jump and pray for the best. No one goes into parenting an expert but I know that Chase and I did our best to prepare ourselves. All of the second guessing I have done in the last seventeen months has just made me be a little tougher on myself and as unnecessary as it is, I am grateful. I know that every decision I make for my child is well thought out and never made out of haste. Cohen is my prize, he is my responsibility and I will always do my best to do right by him.
Bottom line here is this: When you see parents doing what you to believe to be an outstanding job... tell them. The simple reassurance to a new mom and dad can mean the world. There are so many quick to judge and sometimes a kind word just needs to be said.
No comments:
Post a Comment